Sunday, November 8, 2009

EAT

I've been working hard on finishing a lot of our furniture, since we moved. Everything is stuff that we already owned, but we're trying to spruce it up and give our pieces some major makeovers for our new place.

The first project was our kitchen table and chairs, which I've been wanting to change, basically since I painted them a year ago.

Here's a before shot of the table (this is actually a picture I took for craigslist, in the hopes that someone would take the table off of my hands....didn't work).


And here it is after many hours of work....



It was a long process that started with stripping the paint. I tried a few different varieties of these horrible chemicals, and discovered that the Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy remover is the way to go.

After the paint was all gone and I had sanded everything with my new power sander (yay!), I stained two layers of Minwax's Jacobean stain.





Once the stain was finished and dry, I commissioned Ted to cut out 11 inch letter stencils, for the table top. After many attempts to find the right stencil paint, I selected a white stencil paint and brush from Michaels.

The final step was to polyurethane two layers on the table and legs, to protect the stain and stencils.




I'll post more about the new chairs and other projects soon.

No comments: