Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chair-do

Okay, so it's been a reeeally long time since I've posted an update. We just moved into a new condo in North Hollywood, and we're still continuing with our normal work/school schedules, so the process has been slow. And rather than buy new furniture to fit our new place, we are updating pieces that we already own. I have a lot of projects up my sleeve, and here's the first one:

I originally bought this chair at the Salvation Army for next to nothing. It was super ugly. I forgot to take a picture of the original monstrosity, but you'll just have to take my word for it. The first picture I remembered to take was after I primed the chair with a white spray. Also note the hideous fabric on the cushion...



The next step was to paint (using a sponge brush) the whole chair. I used Martha Stewart's White Calla in a satin finish. (Sorry, I also forgot to take a picture after this step). To finish it off, I covered the dry paint with Briwax in Tudor Brown. This gives the piece a really cool patina, and it looks a lot more interesting than just plain white.



Here's where I need your help...I originally bought an Amy Butler fabric to use on the cushion. But after the brown wax, it doesn't seem quite right. I'm thinking now of using something like the fabric at the French General Store, here in LA. Let me know what your thoughts are, and I'll show you the finished project...eventually.

No comments: